Wednesday, June 13, 2012

This isn't really about Emily Blunt

Suddenly, I am not the newest barista at the coffee shop. A new partner just started this week, which is a good thing, since two girls are leaving in July and another one in August. There are several pairs of shoes that will need to be filled soon, and it will take a long time and many hours of practice before any sets of feet will actually fit well. Back to the subject at hand, she started on Monday at ten o'clock in the morning, and from the moment she walked in and said that she was there to start her first day, I thought she looked like a taller, thinner-face, more nervous version of Emily Blunt. I'm leaning toward the idea that it's the shape of M.'s mouth and nose that remind me of said famous actress, but I'm not quite sure.

She doesn't know what to say to that.

M. seems like she will do well at the coffee shop, because everyone else, I'm sure, was nervous and a little in the way when they started, but we all figured it out eventually. I now know what all of the other baristas must have seen when I began. I'm sure that I looked just as out-of-place only seven weeks ago, and now look at me. I have overcome my terror of the drive through, I can make a delicious latte, and I'm an accomplished cleaner, although that may not be a credit to the coffee shop.

When my store manager told me early Monday morning that I wasn't going to be the "new" barista anymore, I smiled and replied, "That's good, because I now know everything." I've never heard her laugh so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment