Wednesday, June 6, 2012

It's inspiring work

It seems that in every workplace, there is that one employee who puts all the others to shame with his or her work ethic. When I worked at the sandwich shop last summer, I was most impressed by Debbie, a middle-aged woman who only worked weekday nights. She was diligent and polite and a quick worker, and we had many pleasant conversations. Many of the kids I worked with also liked her and looked up to her.

A Cappuccino! Because I didn't know what other picture to use


The coffee shop where I work now is very different from the sandwich shop. People who work there are not just working for a summer, and they really care about the job and the customers. While they may sometimes take a few minutes to pause and chat with customers or each other, no one slacks off. At the sub place, there were the employees that you did not want to get stuck working with because you would end up doing your assigned work and at least half of theirs as well. 

It is not so at the coffee shop. Everyone does what they need to, and I have seen many times how people are more than happy to help others with what needs to be done. In fact, this afternoon, I noticed how well another partner was working, and I wondered if she could be the shop's Debbie, the hard worker who would inspire me. The more I thought, though, the more I realized that other partners were similarly inspiring. Not all, but many, and even the ones that weren't were willing workers. 

Someday, I hope to be a worker that someone looks at and is inspired by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment