Thursday, July 12, 2012

The not-so-new-girl

This girl, this one that started working at the coffee shop for the first time on April 23 of this year, was training someone today.

Although, perhaps that statement shouldn't be that impressive since it was sort of an accident.

Originally, the new guy, A., was supposed to be learning how to work the drive through this morning, and usually new baristas train only with shift supervisors. When there is a new person on the floor, we usually have two shift supervisors at the shop, one to train and one to run the shift. However, this morning, we only had one shift supervisor, and she was scheduled to working with A. Unfortunately, shift supervisors have their own duties, completely unconnected to any training. Shift supervisors that are in charge are always stationed at the front register. This gives them the freedom to see to the pastry case, the bank deposit, make any necessary calls, and solve the little problems that turn up.

What with setting up the tills and organizing the day, the shift had to choose between showing A. the ropes or doing what she, as the shift supervisor, was supposed to do. So, she assigned me the task of keeping an eye on him. And I, with all my two and a half months' worth of knowledge and a strong memory of my terrible fear of the drive through headset, took A. under my wing.

And by that, I mean, I did what other people did for me, easing him into working the window, then the order-taking, then both together. And he picked up it quite quickly. He was not afraid to ask for a little extra help, and he wasn't too proud to tell customers that he was new and thank them for their patience. I think he's well on his way to making a rocking barista, and I'd like to think that my expert training skills had something to do with it, but that might not actually be true.

Anyway, I am not even close to being the new girl anymore, and I like it.

Speaking of New Girls, I miss this show

No comments:

Post a Comment