Monday, May 7, 2012

The day I got a lunch break

Today was a day of firsts at my new job: I had my first full shift, I took my first lunch break, and I worked the drive through, and only one of those activities was terrifying. I do not have the greatest hearing (you can get testimonials from my roommate), and half of the drive-through communication is through a headset. What with car engines running and beeps from timers and the music coming through the speakers, not to mention all the grinding of coffee, steaming of milk, and blending of ice (have I mentioned coffee shops are loud places?), it's a challenge for anyone to focus on only one stream of sound.

It even looks like a torture device

The true adventure, though, comes when there is a car at the window with someone handing you money and expecting you to get the change right and another car at the menu board with someone placing an order and expecting you to get their customization right. While jumping between each conversation, you have to remember to switch on and off your headset (one time, a coworker had to reach over and turn mine off for me. I was accidentally talking over her with a different customer). Throw into the mix a knowledge of the register and beverages that is only rudimentary at best, and you can understand why I was panting by my break.

During one of the brief calm moments, though, coworker J. told me that drive through is her favorite position, and, as someone who has achieved the level of Coffee Master, she is someone to be listened to. When asked to explain, she said that she appreciates the way the drive through allows her to focus solely and really connect with one customer at a time. According to her, the drive through is its own, separate, little world.

By the end of the day, I understood what she meant to a degree. Each and every customer past my window, and there was usually a little space of time between when I handed back their change and when their drinks were ready. These few minutes provided a wonderful time to chat with people about the thunderstorm that struck around four in the afternoon, the new blended drinks and how wonderful they are, or ask about the dog that the customer had in his or her lap, passenger seat, or back seat (it's a little surprising how many people drive around with dogs in their cars). Occasionally, someone who had ordered sharply and firmly at the microphone turned out to be cheerful and friendly to my face, and most appreciated a little personal interest.

When I took my headset off for the last time today, I felt that I had accomplished something besides improving my register-navigation skills and managing to decipher words through static.

No comments:

Post a Comment